20th February 2014, Govt of India issued public notification Classifying Odia as classical language officially approving the wishes of 4.2 Crore people of Odisha . Finally it puts an end to the long term continuous demand from the state. Now after Odissi dance, its another milestone in field of language.
Here is the official notification.
As an Odia, Its a moment to cherish for lifetime. An Odia people should have every reason to celebrate. All my hardworks, I put in my schooldays, I feel more proud of it. Even though Odia hasn’t been the most favorite language of mine in schooldays, I feel proud that I was an Odia medium govt school student. Awarding Odia Classical status has no impact on me. I used to have the same respect n love for it when it didn’t have this TAG also.
Indirectly, Officially now it has been approved that Odia is the language with more than 1500 years of history which is having records.
Few highlights behind the Classical Tag:
1. 6th language to join the elite league. Others are Sanskrit, Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, Malayalam.
2. 1st language from Indo-Aryan linguistic group to get classical status.
3. Now Odisha will get financial assistance for setting up a centre of excellence for the study of Odia language.
4. Now on special request to UGC, study & research on Odia can be started in central universities irrespective of state.
5. Odisha govt will receive a one-time grant of Rs 100 crore for research and development of Odia & subsequently,Rs 5 crore every year.
My series of tweets regarding this.
Hope this enhancement will put an added interest to the people to learn Odia,know its history and contribute towards its development.
This should be an occasion for the Odisha government to boost itself up and put its best to promote Odia in a large scale. I would suggest few things here.
1. Odia language should be made compulsory in all schools in the state irrespective of medium/board of school.
2. Should promote research in Odia language extensively.
3. All signboards, hoardings, commercial shops/establishments, government offices should have odia version also.
4. Finally, most importantly all official communications in govt level should be in Odia.
Apart from this, we also cant deny public coordination in this prospect. We need to show our love & respect towards our mother tongue. Because its history is golden, it is what we express and it will be what we make it. Its not a shame, rather we should be proud to put forward our Odia-ness everywhere. In this regard,need to learn a lot from Bengalis, Telugus, Tamils.
Expecting a positiveness out of this, Waiting for another good news, Classical status to Odia music….
Vande Utkal Janani